Friday, March 5, 2010

A Scrap Bustin' Quilt Block

I have been finishing up my Modify Tradition Quilt Blocks . I reached the point where I only had
  small scraps left.
I needed 1 last block. So here is what I came up with.


It turned out to be a great way to use up the tiny scraps.
You can use 3"x3" sqaures or a triangle template that is half  of the square.

If you want to try it.....
You will need to cut  3.5  3"x3" squares or 7 triangles ,of  7 different fabrics for 12 1/2 " block
8 fabrics will give you a 14" block

 
  

Once you have all your little triangles cut ,Lay them out in rows
You will need to cut 1 of the triangles in half of each color to even up the rows.
Like in the photo.


After you have them all laid out. Sew two colors together to make a strip.
I used a scant seam. And a NEW needle to keep the small piece sewing clean.
After each seam is sewn finger or roller press before sewing the next seam.
This will keep it flat. Below shows a strip in progress.



After each strip is sewn , attach to the last finished strip until you have your block.

 
  

Square it up..and your done.
I think this would make a great pillow????
If you want it bigger ...cut bigger triangles and choose more fabrics.

I have 16 finished blocks....Now what??
I am having a bugger of a time finding a sashing color.
12 of the blocks are from the Modify Tradition quilt-along.
And 4 are my own on the fly blocks.


I can say I have used up every last thread of this "Mezzanine" Fabric.
Speaking of FABRIC. I will announce the GIVEAWAY on Saturday!!!
Stay tuned......

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I recently made a quilt using this line of fabric. I used white for the background. It really made all of the fabrics stand out. If you're not feeling the white, maybe a super pale pink or super pale blue?? You can see a pic of what I did in this post: http://wendyloudesigns.blogspot.com/2010/01/productivity-feels-sooo-good.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking good. So sorry about the little kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scrap creation! It reminds me of rickrack.

    So sad to hear about your kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is fabulous - I love the colours in the fabric you are using and the block really does use up those tiny scraps. Can't wait to see your finished quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bright cheery colors! So beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my wee blog and the kind comments. I am so sorry lil Chance didn't make it.

    Happy Quilting!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole thing is just beautiful. Those fabrics look awesome with those blocks. I really like your "made-up" block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sash it in pink. You can't go wrong with pink ;).

    Those blocks are great, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is one of the most important information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really nice

    ReplyDelete