Saturday, September 8, 2012

Back to Sick Time.......

Every year it is the same story. The kids are so excited to get back to school. Mom feels like she has her life back. We all settle into a nice routine.... Ahhhhh. Then Wham-O!!! Someone gets sick. Then it spreads like wildfire through the house. Having a big family means we lose about 3, on an average, and I have at least one of the kiddos home for about 10 days. Luckily we only seem to go through it once or twice a year...but it still sucks!!!!!
Even though we get sick and it doesn't seem to matter how sick we get....There is still energy for creativity :)


Bronte was the first to be stricken. Senior year is not the time to miss school. But it was strep so she was out!!! When she came to. She worked on this Comic  ....It was for her AP Lit. Based on a British book......  They could choose any medium and create something that portraid a scene from the book. She painted this on a canvas. She kind of amazes me. She did this in a couple hours.

Then it was my 9 year old Breven's turn to be sick. She decided to spend her sick leave from school painting also. This is what she did. Also on a canvas. I would love to have this on fabric (says the quilter in me).




This painting now hangs in her 4th grade classroom. 


I created soup. Whenever the kids are sick. I make Homemade Chicken Soup.  It takes half the day and the house smells fantastic..... But this time....I was coming down with it too........ So,  a very quick soup it was!! I realized this is almost as good and is way easier!!! I will share.




Quick Chicken Soup for Sickies.......

1 Rotisserie Chicken from the supermarket
2 boxes chicken stock
1 red pepper chopped into lil' chunks
2 cups celery thinly sliced
2 cups carrots thinly sliced
1/2  sweet onion finely chopped
2 Knorr bouillon cubes
1 tsp. curry powder
minced garlic ...a clove or 4 depending on how much you like garlic.
1 to 2 packages egg noodles ( I used 1 package of egg noodle flakes)
4 cups water 

In a Large pot....... poor in chicken stock and water. Add bouillon cubes, curry, onions and garlic.
Turn it on high and get it boiling. Let boil for about 10 minutes to reduce a little, and flavor up.
While that is happening. Pick all the chicken meat off the chicken and shred a bit. Gather and chop the veggies.
All at one time add the chicken and the veggies to the pot. Turn down to a medium simmer and let the veggies cook for 7 minutes. Then add your noodles( 1 package for girls ...2 for boys, Boys like noodles!!)  and return to a boil until the noodles are done.

Poor in cups or bowls serve with hot buttered bread if you like, I like!!

I don't know if it is the curry, the garlic, the chicken or what. But chicken soup always makes you feel better.

It worked for me. I am up bloggin' sewin' and barkin' at my kids. I guess I am healed.

All the kiddos are back to well also. Hope it sticks until at least spring.

Have a fantastic weekend!!! And Stay Well!!!!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Awww...I hope everyone is on the upswing, soon! I came down with a cold early in the week ... which has now settled into my sinuses. I'm hoping I can stave it off without a trip to the doctor ... but I am fearing that it's going to set my asthma off...which means a trip is inevitable! Love your daughter's creativity!! And chicken soup sounds yummy today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog and ideas!!
    Blessings
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete