Monday, August 27, 2012

This lil' doggy reminded me of......


I saw this pin on Pinterest, and just about died. 
How cute is he????
It reminded me of a post from a while back where I made the Hot Dog Wraps from my youth....
So, I decided to share again. 
I would love to make these little doggy dogs.
You can too using my recipe below . 
Or go to this link on 
Rhodes Bread ...There is even a video!!!! 
Super Duper!!


Original Post:

A Trip in the Way Back Machine......


Do you ever do something and it brings up a rush of childhood memories?

Well, I did that today. It was fantastic.
 I was looking around the kitchen trying to figure out what to feed the troops.... I did not want to make that dreaded trip to the store. I hate the store.  I saw hot dogs.... 
And just like that ....I thought of the wiener wraps they served in my grade school cafeteria.
 It was a strange wave of memory and emotion. 
At the time we complained, as little kids do, about they horrible lunch room and the evil lunch ladies who made us finish our veggies and they wore those fishnet 
covers on their heads. 
We really didn't know what we had....But now.....I wish my kids could eat fresh prepared,
well balanced, healthy and tasty meals made from scratch like we were blessed with.

The photo below is where I went to elementary school. I guess this is what it looks like now. When I was there it was painted in a 50's style sage color. I attended John Gumm Elementary School waaaaaay back in the 70's. 
I had such a great time there.......


Anyway, I decided to make some of those 
wiener wraps of my youth. 
They were pretty great.  Just like I remembered. I told the kids a dozen stories from the way back machine.  
While I was making dough.
It is nice to reminisce......
 I fed them something other than a sandwich 
or one of the other 
boring lunches we have around here.
And, I made a little dessert. 
All in less than 2 hours. 
 I got some Super Mom creds today!!!

Don't you wanna try 'em???

For the dough I used this tried and true bread dough recipe. I have made it a hundred times. Very easy for first timers.
 The only thing I changed was that ........
I used rapid rise yeast for speed.


Amish White Bread 

Ingredients

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.( 30 minutes for rapid rise yeast)
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

This is how we turn Amish Bread into lunch time fun!!

    After step two in the recipe. Roll out the dough into a huge rectangle. 1/2 inch thick.


 Mine was super huge, because in this house one must double all recipes.


Cut into squares about the length of the dog you are using. And how many dogs you wanna make.


 I used the doggies that were in the fridge. But you can use turkey dogs. Ham rolled with a little cheese inside would be awesome too. Dontcha think.


 Lay doggy on square.


Roll stretching a little as you go. you want to totally cover the doggy.


 Pinch dough together at seam.

      
 Pinch ends and tuck under.

  Lay them all on a baking sheet sprayed with no-stick spray.
 ( for the little guys I cut doggies in half and rolled.You can see some little ones on the end). Let rise for about 20 min. Longer if you use regular yeast.


Pop them in a 375 degree oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.


Cut and serve. 
If they are a little doughy on the bottom just flip each one over and pop back in the oven for 5 min.


Just like back in the "Lunch Lady Land "!!!


I had some dough left over sooooooooo,

I mixed 1/4 cup softened butter with 1 cup of brown sugar and a 1 tsp. of cinnamon . I spread it on the leftover dough and rolled it up.

 Cut in 1 inch sections

 Laid them on a prepared sheet.


 And baked with the doggies.



This is what I got. I am off to make some icing.
Delish!!!

Kids are happy....Momma happy
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I remember having them for lunch in the school cafeteria. Ah, the good old days. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, yummy! We never got served anything that looked that good! These are actually pretty! I'll hang on to this recipe -- kids are grown and gone, but I've got one grandson and a grandbaby on the way; hot dogs will be back on the menu in no time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look awesome! I wonder if they'd work with some sort of Pillsbury dough (says the girl who can't boil water and doesn't own yeast)? Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the hot dogs!! My kids will LOVE THEM!!! I will definately try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! Those look really yummy! And I must say...I'm rather jealous of your creativity to come up with a meal like that! And the cinnamon rolls...YUMM!! I really need to try this! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious post! That wiener dog is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what if you dont have bread flour-the amish didnt-could i use self rising instead?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, regular flour works fine. It is almost always what I end up using. if you want to add a extra teaspoon of yeast. You can....but it is not needed.

    ReplyDelete