Friday, August 10, 2012

Time to Pony Up......




Back to school means back to doing 3 heads of hair every morning. 
I am not complaining .....At least the Big 3 do their own.
 It was 113 degrees here yesterday. Oh so hot!! 
So, If they don't leave with a pony tail in their hair.......they come home with one for sure.

These are our favorite pony tail ties.
They never break hair. They are really pretty. They work for all ages. And they look really cute when you use several colors.
The girls leave for school with them as bracelets. And come home with them in there hair. So cute!! They are very cheap to make. That way I don't have a cow when they don't come home. My girls loose a lot of hair stuff.........
They also make great gifts for their girlie friends.

Here is how I do it.




Get yourself some "Fold over Elastic". I buy mine from Etsy . (I'll post some sellers below) Scissors, ruler and a lighter or candle.

Cut pieces:

  9 inches for pony holders
20 inches for kid's headbands
22 inches for adult headbands.

     
1. Fold elastic in half
2. Tie in a knot at the end
3. Pull tight
4. Cut ends at a slight angle with very sharp scissors



This is what you should have.


Flare ends slightly like this . Then carefully run ends through a flame quickly. I use a lighter, but a candle will work.( Can't do it and take pic at the same time....sorry) 
This will seal the ends and keep it from fraying.


I made pony ties.


And headbands.


Made a ton!!


I put some on cards for gifts. Next time I think I will use paint chip cards :)

Places I've seen these sold......For way to much.
HereHere and Here.

Places to buy supplies......For cheap.
Here, Here and Here.

Hope you make some !!!
Happy Hair Dos ....



Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Quick, cheap, and Easy! My kind of project!!

    Now if I only had granddaughters to make them for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too smart! I'm definitely going to have to try this...I feel like I'm buying hair elastics for my girls every other time I got to Target!
    I'm visiting via the Fabulous Friday linkup. I hope you can stop by when you have a minute.
    Rhiannon at beingmomme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of fold-over elastic before! Why is that *kind* of elastic required for the pony ties? Would a different soft elastic do as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pirate,
    Thank You for stopping by The Blueberrymoon.
    In reply to your question......yes any elastic works. This stuff is just very soft. And it is the same as they use at *Anthropology*......which is what my teens like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing! just bought a few and it would be great to make them instead! so much cheaper!! stoppin over from grant life linky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to make some of these =) In every color imaginable too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! Thanks for visiting me at OneCreativeMommy.com. I hope you'll come back on Friday for One Creative Weekend and link up some of your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are cute! Thanks so much for sharing at Fabulous Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these! I ordered 27 colors from Etsy and they are so easy and cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete